Thursday, March 26, 2009

Whoa Governor!


When I embarked on this journey with Cally, I guess I should have known that protective instinct and discovering the depth of love for your child would show itself at the strangest times and in some pretty unusual places. Today the spark came by way of disbelief that our Governor, Jim Douglas, announced he would veto the gay marriage bill currently receiving wide support in the Vermont State legislature.

What it all comes down to for me is human rights, the most basic being that of self determination. Aside from the ongoing disbelief of having to watch gay friends and colleagues continue to endure the spite and humiliation of people in positions of power trying to legislate how they are able to commit their love and parent...I have another important life to consider now as well.

I want to live in a country where my children can have full legal and constitutional rights regardless of how they identify by gender or sexual orientation...period.

Another believer in this ideal (and recent convert to marriage rights activism) is our local daily paper’s (The Burlington Free Press) former editorial writer, Stephen Kiernan, who wrote a 1999 editorial opposing same-sex marriage, a position he called in a recent editorial “my enduring shame.”

Kieran stated, “When it comes to matters of social justice, I did the worst thing possible: I compromised. If I may share the perspective of a person who spent a decade knowing his compromising was wrong,” added Kiernan, “I would offer the governor just three words: Stand for something.”

While I don't want to bore non-locals with all the political mechanics here in the green mtn. state, I will end my thoughts on the matter with a tip of the hat to the person I belive has offered the most sane and eloquent testimony this week. Sen. John Campbell (D-Windsor)spoke from his heart in saying, "Marriage needs to be inclusive, and to bring into its fold people who are committed to upholding its rights and responsibilities." He took offense at opponents who labeled gays and lesbians “those people.”

“You know who ‘those people’ are?” asked Campbell. “They are our children, our sisters, our brothers. They are human beings and, as such, and as it’s said in this bill, they should be treated equally.”

C'mon governor...get on the right side of history early for once.

1 comment: